Yesterday when I arrived at the barn the horses were in--BA at a horse show and weather expected to be 80s and rain. I wanted to move large cones from ring to field for cloverleaf pattern and decided to take Try with me for some liberty in the field. She got there and started calling for Angel, her pasture mate who was at the show. She also is back in season--after just a week--probably because she is stalled across the hall from the gorgeous Devon. She settled quickly and ate grass while I set up stuff.
Then we went to the back paddock for liberty warmup sticking together. It took a long time for her to connect to me as she was distracted. Then we went on line and played with yoyo--it was lovely, I did a little extreme friendly to see if she would "escape" (keep going after life down) and she still stopped right on cue. Next back to liberty and the pedestal--My goals was to not be busy, busy, busy and I think I made some progress but Try did not progress. ASK list. I could physically put a hind foot on the pedestal. Perhaps next time back her to pedestal and ask for one hind foot or sideways to pedestal and one hind foot???
Anyway, now that we were warmed up and pretty much on the same page--saddled up with western saddle for a change and went to the ring, starting with walk til blow and it took 2 full laps. Then started baby steps of halt from 2 carrot sticks--she knows this--confidence is the issue. So the first few cued by weight, vocal cue then sticks and she stopped by vocal cue--then we waited and I rubbed her with the sticks for awhile. This progressed to weight, 2 sticks (gently) and a good halt and rub and we quit. Headed out of the ring with some impulsion at the walk and I did not correct it--as it was nicely LBEish--she was happy not anxious.
In the field we walked the big cloverleaf first for eyes bellybutton leg--did not even bring sticks--and Try was super. Then we did the cloverleaf the other direction with reins, trotted all but the downhills--did those at a walk and she was still great--relaxed and good energy. Then we did a serpentine trot to the open gate and she was happy to leave. Rode back into the ring, dismounted gathered equipment and headed for the barn for a big ol shower.
Lovely, peaceful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment