Thursday, May 5, 2011

excerpt from blog on Emotional Intelligence

I thought this was really important and am posting excerpt from the blogs here so I don't forget:

"But what about our emotional intelligence quotient (EQ)? Why have I never heard this before??

Studies have shown that your EQ is four times more important than IQ predicting long-term personal and career success. This includes not only financial success, but overall quality of life and the number and degree of close, long-term relationships. Makes sense to me, particularly while considering the humanality material--I believe I am strongest RBE (emotional) but all over the chart--fairly close to the axis!

So what is Emotional Intelligence (EI) and why is it so important?

Emotional Intelligence has 4 parts. Their combined “score” is considered your Emotional Intelligence Quotient (EQ).
  •  Self-awareness involves being aware of your emotions and your self. When and how do your emotions affect you? What are your strengths and weaknesses? How self-confident are you? This one is especially important as I go on instinct instead of stopping and taking the time to say--hey I am emotional here and what is the most productive thing to do? 
  • Self-management is all about managing those emotions. When they surface, how do you handle them? Do they help you or hinder you? How good are you at using or changing destructive emotion into something that will benefit you? Good if I recognize it! 
  • Social awareness is the third component of EQ. How empathetic are you? How long does it take you to figure out that someone’s had a bad day? Pretty good--could always be better.
  •  
  • Relationship management deals with how you manage relationships with others. Can you inspire a shared vision for a project or improvement? How well do you resolve conflict? How do you develop a team? Collaboration or competition" Yes, no, yes--don't like conflict!
Posted by: HerdWise, LLC | April 21, 2011 via Petra Christensen
http://central.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/2011/04/petras-pick-emotional-intelligence/

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    This makes me so happy to see that people find my picks helpful! Just makes my day....
    I will be "out of the office" for the summer, teaching in the field and assisting at the campus. You can always find me on FB and Parelli Connect. Have a fabulous summer!!!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will all miss your comments--thanks its been a great contribution to the connection!!

    ReplyDelete