Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tired and sore but on our way.

Woke up tired and sore and went right on out to the barn--afraid if I waited til later I wouldn't have either physical or mental energy.

Began with Keystone on line in the round pen. More friendly rubbing and swinging stick and string. Better confidence with HQ. Tried walking and swinging stick string and Keystone thought I meant to go circling so I gradually shortened the rope, looked at his HQ--disengaged to a stop and he licked and chewed over misinterpreting what I wanted. How interesting. Started yoyo--I only get 3-4 slow steps backing. Keystone liked touch it with treat on pedestal. Although he feels very sweet RBI, I did his charts and he is really more LBI. On the lead line I experimented with either asking him to keep up or asking him to go slower than he wants and will continue to do so. Mounting was lovely--he stood still and did not walk off--now he is learning to stay for 20 seconds before we walk off. Then we walked to warmup--slow and laborious. Trot 3 laps and canter 1 lap were just fine (spurs). BA said she would likely continue to wear them--just not use them once he gets over the "laziness."

Try: We had a second lesson with Kathy Glielmi. I like her and trust her and feel Try and I are learning a lot. I am learning about how I use my body as a dressage rider. Try and I are experimenting with finding some soft feel and vertical flexion. I really like the photos Kathy took as its helpful to have visuals in addition to memory of feel--to see corrections to be made, steps along the way, what Try's expression is, etc.
Photos and commentary:

"Elizabeth,
Had a real good time teaching you...you made wonderful progress. i was looking over the 4th level in Parelli; Wow! it asks alot. I covers work through 3rd and 4th level Dressage. A journey starts with the first step and we've had a good start." Kathy


my favorite as it was beginning to come together

close fingers, lovely connection
oops--there's those ballet fingers again!

good line to elbow and well flexed
It is really helping me to think of riding from elbows not hands!!
But an effort to maintain the contact let alone the flexion.

good position, relax shoulders
This position does look good to me--contact not maintained. Try is concentrating.

lateral flexion

nice contact to elbows
my position too far forward and legs too far back

soft contact and seat
I need to ask Kathy if I am leaning back just a bit thru upper back??

soft leg and good seat
I also like this seat.
Try was true to her name "Try"ing hard to get a new concept,
had a good attitude and was happy and relaxed at the end.






No comments:

Post a Comment