Arrived as horses were coming in for breakfast and decided to start with riding Spiderman as there would only be someone on the farm for an hour. So quick grooming, saddle up and then play a little on line in the ring--touch it, yoyo, etc then mount up. (Likely would have been better to do some relaxed circling game in the "scarey" corners.) We walked til Spiderman blew but it took a long time--also he was slow and sloppy in the walk. Then picked up the trot. I really did not feel that he was relaxed and trotted awhile at 2 point as that is where I feel the most secure with him should he spook. He blew some then but it still did not feel good, he kept reacting to the wind etc. So I got off and we played more games on the ground.
Then decided to go to the back paddock and played for ages liberty and on line (relaxed, dwell time etc) seeing if we could both fill our confidence buckets. The only thing we didn't do were FQ/HQ 360s--will do tomorrow. We played friendly games, yoyo and he is getting the idea to back from life up and stop from life down but not to KEEP backing until life down. Also circling game walk and trot playing with upward and downward transitions and maintaining responsibility--he is so cute and sweet. Squeeze by me and the fence, turn and face is nice also. Touch it I keep thinking he is getting the idea but he is not so far remembering from session to session. Figure 8 was sloppy--needed to wake him up at that point. Sideways same as usual. Pedestal--I have nose easily but still trying for feet. Liberty stick to me is great for our level: walk, stop, turns, and beginning the backup.
Mostly tho it was about being together for 2.5 hours to see if I can repair my feelings after the fall.
SO NOW ABOUT 65! Next week I turn 65 and I have been struggling with this and Petra's pick on "Riding after 50" really hit home. Part of me says Spiderman's reactions and RB are too much for me at my age--that it isn't safe to be falling and I should give up my 1/2 lease on Spiderman--another part says suck it up and don't give up. (My RBE/RBI/LBI sides of my humanality are at war here.) PNH has been such an incredibly absorbing, exciting pursuit--I don't want to take a step back and I don't want to be a "failure" with Spiderman. But it only makes sense to be safe. This isn't even about the fact that I started riding at age 55 any more--looks like the age issue is common to lots of folks from reading those blogs/comments. I like the thought that the next mile post is age 70 and how 65 seems young in comparision. Also an issue--I feel like 4-5 hours at the barn with two horses is a lot for me energy wise. If I want to age well--stay strong, fit, flexible; I need to get back to the gym. So cut back on horse stuff a bit? For awhile? Keep going? ?????????? Find a happy medium, longer less strenuous exercise?????
My I add my two cents?
ReplyDeleteIf you would like to stick with Spiderman, make sure you set yourself up for success. That might mean more time on the ground to build more confidence and so that he is "super rideable" and just short rides for now. You might also just opt for online (and maybe liberty?) for now if you'd like to continue with him.
I definitely would never, ever jeopardize my confidence (again), because it's so hard to undo any damage to it no matter how old or young you are.... :-)
There are workouts that you can do at home... i.e. my friend Theresa got a Vinyasa Flow Yoga workout on DVD, 35 minutes 3 times a week. Her website is http://www.fluidridingthruyoga.com/ I have found it really helpful. Theresa had a student that started exercising just with her upper body/arms because she had a hip replacement and worked her way up to doing all the movements...
My best wishes for your journey!
Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central
Hi Petra, Just wanted to say that keeping Spiderman for on line/liberty only isn't really an option--as he is not my horse and I knew the lease was just a temporary month to month thing and that his owner would want him back soon. (Long story) Anyway he will be going back to his hunter/jumper career.
ReplyDelete