Saturday, April 16, 2011

bank accounts and filling up buckets

Today I am considering the images of bank accounts and filling buckets. I have considered in the past the bucket filling idea for me--filling the exercise/nutrition/serotonin etc buckets so when I can't give full attention to them there is still something in the bucket to sustain me.

Dan T spoke of the image of a bank account for a LBI. Since "what's in it for me" is so important for Try and to a lesser extent Spiderman, it therefor makes sense to keep their account full--making deposits more than withdrawals. So for Try the dwell time, passenger/trail time, a carrot in the pasture, etc. are the deposits. When the bank account is full/of healthy size then Try is happier if I make a "withdrawal" of asking her to do something she might not see as fun.

Considering this I think Spiderman could also use a confidence bucket/bank account. Weighing time with him for things that are enjoyable and motivating and promote the LBI vs RBI but also the confidence builder of the friendly games--lots of it. What percentage of time goes into his motivation and confidence buckets and what percentage to my learning needs?

And what about my confidence bucket? I took a fall off Spiderman (super windy day, my not paying attention, his quick reflexes to spook) and wasn't hurt or even sore but it put me on alert that it could happen again and I could get hurt. So now I am rebuilding my confidence and its not a snap yer fingers and its done kind of thing. Step 1--first ride since the fall, I was hyper aware of him and nervous causing him to be nervous and the session wasn't going well. So changed gears, waited for Bethanna to come out to ride Devon--and the my confidence was coming back at having the company--by the end of the session I felt great. But I bet it will still take a few more times before I am back with no stirrups posting trot on a casual rein doing patterns! Refilling the bucket, not drop by drop but hopefully more like quart by quart?

2 comments:

  1. What a great analogy with the bank accounts and how it relates to each horseinality. I'm going to keep this image in my mind when playing with my LBI. How full is the account? As I am asking him for new or high energy things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... the bank account idea is soo cool. Gotta have a positive balance to make withdrawl :-)

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete