Monday, June 11, 2012

Saturday/Sunday

I spent time thinking/processing and preparing to take what I have learned intellectually and make it mine.

Process of beginning GoC/dressage study
Background on learning to ride with contact:
·        Spent years learning to ride without reins and NOT wanting to touch Try’s mouth, resisting even riding with shorter reins.
·        Saw Linda Parelli do a before and after with her horse at tour stop in Lex VA—going well, then with her horse happily taking the contact FROM her and powering up like crazy.
·        I knew the powering up would be good for Try physically.
·        Studied some dressage texts/dvds/watched some local shows etc to get some idea?? Of what this is all about???? Overwhelmed and lots of confusion.
·        Linda taught class on contact that I audited in Ocala FL—handbook and later she put out dvd series.
·        Studied this and was able to ask Try for contact and keep for a few strides walk and trot without a negative reaction/release/lots of licking and chewing. Felt I need one on one help.
·        Met Kathy Glielmi, dressage instructor from Jax NC who is beginning Parelli natural horsemanship study and has studied Linda’s GoC pack--have now had 12 lessons. Both Try and Keystone are beginning to not only take the contact but power up thru their topline etc for a few strides.
·        I still have confusion and am studying to make what I am learning mine and to begin to change old habits and create new ones in myself and to see if Try and Keystone can maintain longer and longer what we are learning.
I have put together visualization and notes to help learn:

Riding with Contact


1.   I am relaxed with soft eyes and long loose thighs.
2.  I slowly lift the reins to softly take contact.
3.  I have a lovely elbow connection with resting wrists and jelly fingers.
4.  I close my eyes and enjoy following the movement.

Stretching
 1.   I practice following my horses stretch with elbows extending along the crest first, then sliding bits of rein.

2.  I practice softly inching in more rein as the horse comes upgently, maintaining steady, light, even contact.

3.  I practice maintaining with both reins in one hand stretching down and coming back up.

Who has the contact? BothI take and then horse decides to take it from me. Remember: Biceps and Triceps.
Posting Trot

·      Relaxed legs
·      Forward from the waist
·      Pendulum
·      Shoulders open
·      Coming down forward on crotch
·      Follow the movement

Asking for Flexion

·      May need to ask for small bend on the large circle—generally on the stiffer side for the horse
·      Outside aids say go forward with power (power and speed are not the same thing)
·      Inside aids keep the horse from falling in on the circle.
·      Can close my eyes to learn the feel of this
·      Allow and follow stretch
·      Maintain steady, soft, even contact with BOTH reins and elbow connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment