Keystone, Alex and Smitty at rest with Lincoln standing guard--early am at Rollover.
(Photo taken from my car as I pulled in.)
Thursday was eventful:
First Try and I reviewed in the back paddock
- circling game and contact--Try was really trying to figure out the good deal and perhaps getting the idea that when she starts thinking away from me that I know it.
- reviewed HQ yield--Try doesn't want me to get into position and wants to face me quickly. We got several great steps in each direction but was not able to keep it going for several steps in succession like last time. Great draw!
- sideways from zone 1 was better than yesterday--my focus being really important.
Next: Keystone in the ring. I was able to experience today, for the first time, taking contact by maintaining the reins and softening when he softened into the contact. Walk and sitting trot and some posting trot. Then played with sitting on my balance point in the canter--this isn't working for me--likely my strength in his slow big canter strides.
Then walk up the road to the white house with Try and I and Bethanna riding Keystone to test how Keystone might be on a trail. BA led for that purpose. We got to the cows and Key was terrified. Even crossing the road and Try leading did not help. BA got off and stayed with him and we retreated. Key was confident otherwise--better near the ponds than Try.
When we started out Try threw a fit. I had mounted on the fence in the drive without warming up and reestablishing connection. This will be a new fun thing for us to play with!
No comments:
Post a Comment