Saturday, September 3, 2011

Friday the first real day back.

I am so happy to be back--mentally and physically after the hurricane.

My latest project is a focus on level 4 freestyle riding, bridleless and bareback tho not both at the same time! More to be posted on this soon under September goals.

Today we rode for an hour or so without bridle or halter. The usual warmup then some concentration on turn on the haunches (in the center of the ring/not on the rail). The turn itself is coming along but Try and I had developed the habit of it always starting with a backup step. So I tried to figure out how to cue her to move her shoulder sideways to start by using stick/string and forward/sideways movement in my body followed by getting back on my balance point after the movement starts. The problem with starting on my balance point is that Try takes that as a cue to back as we have been working on backing from my seat alone.

Next we played the corners game in the big ring. One side walk, then one jog, then walk, then trot, then walk, then canter--each time stopping and waiting in the corner. Try got the pattern fairly quickly--but this is not normal for her, of course, as we usually round off the corners and keep going--not ride directly to the fence and stop.

I noticed that I got scared when Try decided to trot off after Devon the current love of her life--she is in season. Also I did the pattern 3x and once I got anxious and miscued Try for the canter and got a counter canter that was rough and reached for the neck string for safety. Also Try would get emotional at times but the stopping in the corners and walking really helped.

Then dressage saddle off--bareback AND bridleless. Played with neck mount while standing on the pedestal. Try puts head down nicely, I put my belly on her neck, swung my right leg over her neck/back and pushed myself back into position. BUT to do this from the ground will require Try's head to go lower still and a cue for Try to bring head up to help me get into position to swing my leg.

Next worked on standing on Try's back--I had the coordination but chickened out on the full stand as my feet felt slippery--??rubber soled riding boots?? I have to say Try stood like an angel for all this stuff.

Then we tacked up with close contact saddle/bridle and did the dreaded mile of no stirrups posting trot.

Fear for me: 2x riding, neck mount, stand on Try's back. Emotion for Try?? My over asking, bringing her life up in the 360. Using the stick on her neck to get her to stand square in the corner. Devon and being in season. First day back???? I look forward to repeating the corners pattern another day to see if can be more consistent in relaxation--smooth out the emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment