"Here’s the problem – a horse can feel a fly land on him, so when you are applying 1000 times more physical pressure than a fly, you are working way harder than your horse! It’s not that he can’t feel you, he just doesn’t respond until a certain amount of pressure is applied. This would be like telling a dog to sit 10 times, and he doesn’t sit until the 10th time. You’re actually training him to sit when you say it the 10th time! So concerning the horse, if you keep going to Phase 3 and using a lot of pressure he’s only going to move when you get to Phase 3, and he’s going to stop moving unless you maintain a similar level of pressure.
Here’s how I improved it: I asked lightly and politely expecting a positive response. When he ignored me, I started flapping the Savvy String around until he jumped forwards (note – I create commotion vs smacking him). The moment he moved, I released all pressure and rubbed and scratched him effusively. Then I asked again. It took about 6 repetitions before he responded as soon as I lightly asked. Instantly, his whole attitude was different – more alert, more connected, brighter. He even started moving more athletically and lightly on his feet."
This applies to my zero tolerance study: I have been accepting Try getting it after I ask 3 times--habit. Also accepting a bad attitude because I want to get on to something else rather than deal with it.
Another good point Linda makes is to reward appropriate to the effort.
No comments:
Post a Comment