Try and I have not progressed at the rate we could have because of my lack of leadership--often tied to my RBE desire to have her "love" me and to not "hurt" or offend her as LBI.
Well in return Try can
1. Have an out and out nasty attitude especially if I threaten her desire to remain in control.
2. She can refuse to do what I ask
3. She can give 75% of what I ask to appease me but stay in control.
4. She can lose confidence (RBI)
5. She can get angry in an LBE way or be really threated and move her feet RBE.
Mostly its #3 the sneaky, passive aggressive little bits of sabotage that keep us from moving forward.
So strategies I am learning from Dan Thompson.
1. The 75% or Try waiting til the 3rd ask to do it--calls for an immediate consequence tailored to the situation--something she cares about--not too much or too little. And this is Jim Carrey FUN time--game on for me--not emotional or frustrated on my part.
2. Snarky attitude and refusal to complete a task she knows-- a strategy is the catch me game. She leaves and if she is LBI nasty then we play with change of direction until she turns toward me rather than away. As a reward for a step in the right direction I step back to release the pressure and if she leaves give her 1/4 or 1/2 lap of release before asking for change of direction again. If she turns toward and stop, then I back and stop and wait. If she leaves, game back on, if she comes to me then we go back to the original task. We continue to play the game until she completes the task. This catch me game does not need to be played every day.
3. Losing confidence--the little wrinkles over her eyes--do something she knows i.e. touch it, approach and retreat, match her energy, slow down OR stronger leadership.
4. Emotional and extraverted whether left brain or right brain: Match her energy and keep at it until she decides to find a better deal OR if its dangerous to ride see #2 catch me game.
THURSDAY
1. When I went to her stall to get her, she didn't want to come--enthralled with the gelding next door. So a fairly mild flick of string to her HQ and she came to me nicely. AND I think it set the tone for the day as Dan predicted.
2. We went to the round pen, I asked for sidepass the barrel at liberty with me standing 6-10' away as I thought that would be a good test. She did it immediately.
3. Figure 8 at a walk good--trot she left and catch me game on. She circled at a slow relaxed trot and when I asked for change of direction she immediately stopped then came to me.
4. Groomed, saddled at liberty--she thought about being cranky about the girth but then thought again!
5. Went to ring and I did the usual warmup plus 6 laps no stirrups posting trot and all went well.
6. Leaving the ring she picked up some emotion and I used the back up technique but did not match the energy well enough or stay on it long enough.--So fun game for next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment