I am confused about whether I am riding freestyle or finesse.
1. maintaining light contact with the horse's assistance
2. leg yields, shoulder swings, turns on the haunches, forehand etc to free up shoulders and help Try to use her HQ more--is that freestyle or finesse? I am using contact.
3. Taking 7 step soft feel and then complete release is that freestyle or finesse
4. Stretching down?? what is that.
I am pleased with what I see as an increased ability to share Try's moods: if when I arrive she is irritated (weather, lack of forage, annoying young pony etc), I can change that with sticking together, friendly, slow games and then more active--on the ground, before riding.
Apparently from comments on Linda's talk on the subject: freestyle is independent seat, horse taking responsibility and confidence, no contact. Finesse is contact, refinement, shaping etc. So I guess I am aiming toward finesse and "peppering" it into freestyle riding to avoid too much pressure.
You're right about Freestyle and Finesse! Check out the self assessment tasks for Freestyle and Finesse and you can see how they build on each other through the levels...
ReplyDeletePetra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central