Friday, February 11, 2011

Background for Kerrin

Kerrin Koetsier from social media/Parelli Central has asked for a little background info.

As it is 30some degrees and apparently starting to snow I am indoors and this may be a good time to post some answers for her and ?? maybe add some kinda side bar of bio info THO I don't think of this blog as something for others to read--I use it to record what I'm doing--clinic notes--and general impressions to motivate me in the journey. When I get a lot of info I use Blurb to print out a book from my blog entries, then mark it all up and summarize stuff to carry forward. Trying to figure out how to learn to learn something that is a combination of physical, intellectual and emotional learning....

1. How long have I been studying Parelli? hmmm in 1999 at a dude ranch trip in Colorado and as a new horse owner (age 55 with no prior horsemanship experience) the ranch owner gave me extra horsemanship experiences and suggested Pat's book which I promptly purchased and found to be completely over my head. That fall a group of friends were in Ft Worth for the National Cutting Horse Futurity staying at the Stockyards hotel--the Cowtown Coliseum next door was hosting Pat Parelli so of course I got our whole gang to go. I was impressed with everything and particularly what mere students could do with their horses. I got into horses because I wanted the dream relationship I saw. Could I learn even a fraction of that? So purchased the old old Level 1 pack and had trouble making headway.

My horse Try and I moved to another facility where the trainer was into natural horsemanship and the two of us spent 3 years studying together--I bought materials and she filled in gaps for me. I got to attend 4 clinics with Carol Coppinger and passed my old levels 1 and 2 with her. So long story short--actually consistently studying since ??2003.

2. What am I doing with my horses.

Try and I have been together for seven years and recently passed our level 3. Try is a 19 year old quarter horse with extensive, broad experience--laid back and safe LBI on the cusp of LBE--but high spirit/dominance. In the past she has taught me basic English riding and we've done Western Pleasure showing. Today we pursue our PNH learning and look for fun different things to do. I am proud that we can canter in the Parelli bareback pad. We are "cleaning up" in level 3 and looking forward to level 4. Try likes freestyle savvy the best--especially bridleless--duh.

Spiderman and I have just gotten together this month. He is a 19 year old, large pony, LBI, with extensive hunter/jumper experience and he is helping me with equitation and the beginnings of riding with contact. He is not my pony but I have a 1/2 lease so of course we are starting our Parelli On Line and he has learned level 1 quickly. I think he is enjoying having a Parelli student because by the time we do a little on line, he is relaxed and soft for riding and he seems to really trust my hands. He seemed tense and distrustful when we first met.

3. My aspirations: I am 64 years old and have had many aspirations in other education fields and careers in my life--I am a career aspirer or learner. I guess my aspiration is to continue to be excited and passionate about learning. I participate in a play day group that means a lot to me. I attend clinics (lots), tour stops, gold (benefactor) member, enjoy tracking my horsemanship hours on Parelli Connect and last fall audited the Game of Contact course, etc. As I follow happenings--through all the social media--the fast track, instructor courses, extern and internships, I think that some part of that would be incredible and then again I think there will be a different Parelli path for me just ahead. So for now at least enjoy the journey, love the horses, savor the friendships.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Elizabeth!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete