Sunday, January 2, 2011

January 1: Happy New Year at the Barn

Enjoyed warm weather in the 60s. Try was a little irritated at times today--nothing to eat in her pasture but hay and she would prefer to be back in her big pasture. Still muddy and the road is still icy in places.

First we went to the round pen and played with some dwell/eating grass time followed by some nice sticking together--responsive but not "spiritually" connected. Played in sticking together with follow my focus. Then liberty--point and wait (follow my focus) for Try to knock ball off the pedestal, cone off the barrel. This was followed by On Line line up on my focus and back a step or two on the focus--we did this in several places and Try is really catching on. We also did this in the ring over a cavaletti pole.

Barn--first full grooming in ages with warmer weather.

In the ring, dressage saddle, walk til blow occured early. We played with lots of stuff at the walk: stretching, contact, back/sideways without reins, turn on the haunches, swing shoulders, falling leaf and more. Then we trotted a little and cantered some--I am not getting the idea of lifting her front end when she pounds without cueing her to slow tho I did add leg. Need clarification.

Then we circled the gate until we could leave the ring with relaxation and turned right and started up the road. I encouraged Try to go where she wanted--she headed all the way down the road and out of the farm turning right and heading past Jim and Pauline's before I turned her around and returned to the barn.

I take this as a sign that Try would like a nice trail ride or to go on a trip--perhaps some place new.

No comments:

Post a Comment