Friday, August 19, 2011

Catching Up

I did spend time with Try Wednesday and Thursday. Still tired from the trip. The past two days with Try have been unusual. She has been sweet, relaxed, lots of draw and generally following my direction well. Rather than think this is some great progress, I tend to think she isn't feeling well and have been careful not to do too much and to keep checking her for signs of illness, etc. Have done lots of grooming and bathing--all at liberty and she just stands there as nicely as I could ask--relaxed and at peace. Wednesday was bridleless in dressage saddle and Thursday no stirrups in close contact saddle. Thursday on line circling Try circled on the 22' rope about 8' from me--although we've had lots of draw--I suspect she just was happier with a smaller circle as it required less effort.

At Parelli Connect Kristi Smith posted a challenge--do we know what makes us happy?
For me: being with Try, learning, improving, being challenged, being physically fit, being organized, helping people be happy, going places, and being with friends and family, not necessarily in this order.

Also this week, I am considering bridleless/level 4 riding (savvy string around the neck and one carrot stick) as something fun to play around with this fall. I was pretty comfy with this 2 years ago when I passed my L3 freestyle but haven't done much with it since. So I tried it out Wednesday and found that several times Try decided to ignore my suggestion and follow her own and would not have done so if I had been riding in the bridle even if not using it. Hmmmm.

Ideas:
1. Take some of the simpler dressage tests and see if I can do them with neck string and carrot stick.
2. Redo my L3 audition and fix the stuff we didn't do well.
3. Try out any L4 stuff that is new/newish.
4. Study L4 youtube auditions that passed.

In studying L4 freestyle youtube auditions I have discovered that they are submitted by 2 and 3* instructors who are very professional looking riders. Try and I can do the tasks (when Try is in the mood/taking our time/not too many tasks at once etc--intellectual/emotional not physical issue) but the old habits/dominance would be where we are just not L4 in freestyle. Also I think lots of bareback canter in the field using patterns would be good for my sense of freedom/ease/fluidity in freestyle riding.

My best bet for finding my wimpy habits where Try takes charge and creating a better balance in our relationship is time with Dan Thompson.

Also, if working with Melissa Deal as a natural dressage teacher works out for us then I would like to pursue that from the stand point of physical fitness for Try, learning some basic dressage for the fun of it, and of course anything to improve my riding. In the process, take time to study Karen Rohlf and Walter Zettl and GoC materials.

Looks like a great fall coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment