Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Yesterday was not a good day

Well, I am still not sure what I should have done yesterday.

I arrived and yeah Try's former pasture buddy Shirley had arrived and the two of them were out front with gelding pastures all around them. I quickly saw that Shirley was really upset at the idea that I would take Try away from her.

We groomed at liberty--showered her derriere as she was still very much in season. Then went to the ring with the plan being warmup, steady rein, no stirrups and an hour for going in and out of various gates around the property.

Well Shirley was screaming for Try and Try was in and out of concentration. I mounted in the round pen in the ring and Try went rushing for the exit. Soooo took off the bridle for a little circling to see if that would release some emotion--didn't make a big deal of it and it seemed to help.

Then FTR playing with steady rein was horrible so I figured if her concentration was off--a puzzle solving task might not be the best thing so went ahead and did no stirrups and 2 point laps for my strength on the rail and she settled nicely. Then back to steady rein (day 2--the first being at Jasmine Meadows--another challenging day for focus), and for the first time--this at just a walk on the rail I started to see it click in Try's brain. I only asked for staying on FTR pattern. It was not great, only a start.

Next on my agenda was in and out of gates--a great thing to do on an emotional day, given that emotional fitness is our highest priority at the moment. We went in and out of round pen, ring, entrance to ring area, her old paddock etc. When she was able to go in and out with improved (but still not really good) relaxation, we would move on. I am VERY confused as to how to do this--this is a good enuf is not good enuf thing, stay with it til a change is made, intensity is our friend kinda thing and I am not getting it done. GRR

Then we walked up the road and Try was nice and relaxed and was even interested in leaving the farm to explore when it started to rain. So I dropped her off at her pasture and called it a day.

Questions:
1. BB BL in the round pen or small paddock til she decides to stop where I want her to--she doesn't stop--she maintains gait for 30 minutes or so.
2. How to work thru the gate/entrance/exit deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment