Thursday we loaded up Try, who was majorly in season, and two of her favorite geldings and went to Jasmine Meadows for something different and fun. Try was quite happy with her equine company--even waiting in the trailer.
Tacking up she was a little antsy which is unlike her--new place and in season. Then the two of us went to the ring for a little online warmup--she was just lovely and did not need it for settling. We did circling variations--gaits/transitions/traveling etc. Also touch it and sticking together. When BA got there with Devon she did whiney and gain a little more energy.
Then we rode a good while--Try had more energy than at home and rather than be fearful I just enjoyed the impulsion--only correcting for speed once because the canter was heavy on the forehand. I did decide that it would be good to make a subblog for hot buttons--anything that brings up emotion for either Try and I and then place in advance step by step what to do to increase our emotional fitness.
I played with steady rein. I thought it would be easy to incorporate with concentration as its not really anything new. BUT I was wrong. This needs repetition at the walk first for either direction or speed not both together so it is really a new habit, so Try learns the value of my hand in neutral on her withers. Then add in other gaits and correct for posture.
Trailer loading and unloading. I walked Try on--tricky side load, 4 horse trailer--no way to self load. She always goes on like a dream but I lost my cool with her being nose to nose with Devon and not wanting to back into her space as easily as usual. She unloaded once with me and another by herself--both times completely relaxed and at ease.
I also lost my cool when I needed to tie her to tack up as we've done this at liberty (ground tie) so much lately. Also removing tack I got nervous because she was moving her feet just a bit and I am so unaccustomed to this. Good practice to be away from home and realize that this different energy from her is no big deal. Also it poured down rain (58 degrees), and we had to keep riding for awhile and this was good for emotional fitness as well.
Compliment for Try: BA told Joey about Dorry's first trail ride Tuesday--she rode Dorry and I rode Try and led. We had huge farm equipment and other vehicles pass us, went by cows, dogs etc and he said BA was crazy--BA said no--she had her secret weapon--Try who took all of that completely in stride. Do I love my gal Try or what?
Thinking about West Point has made me consider having a second horse again. I still just don't know. Try and I have shared 300 hours this year and I love being able to concentrate on our priorities like that. Also a new horse will be starting at the beginning with Parelli as I would likely look for an older English show horse and LBI for my safety. Actually, although in some ways frustrating for a new horse not to know what Try knows with the Parelli, I would much prefer not to get a Parelli trained horse as I enjoy doing this myself. Anyway heading into Christmas etc may not be the best time to get another horse. ????????
No comments:
Post a Comment